Friday, December 30, 2011

Year End Wrap Up


My goal for 2011 was to focus on myself and find a new level of happiness that I felt was missing in 2010.
I rang in the new year by not doing anything except resting and sleeping.  I didn’t stay up until midnight; I didn’t go out; and I didn’t spend it with anyone.  To some people this may be seen as sad or weird, and while it’s not the way I would choose to ring in each new year, it was just what I needed.  It allowed me to put a close on 2010 and start 2011 the way that I wanted to: refreshed. 
And that was just what I did.  While everyone else was coming in late or hung-over to work that day, I was refreshed, excited and energetic.  I was ready to go and take on whatever may present itself to me that day.  It was perfect.
When I was presented with the opportunity to purchase an unlimited month of yoga at The Yoga Co in Santa Monica, I knew it was something I wanted and should do.  I sat on the deal for a month or so and then was inspired to take it and turn it into one month straight of yoga (My 30 Day Yoga Challenge).  I knew that was going to be a major undertaking but with the support I was receiving from my friends, family and coworkers, I knew it was something I could do.  And I did.


A month of yoga brought upon many challenges and breakthroughs; it brought on a physical and mental struggle; and it brought a community I didn’t know could exist; and it began to show me this new level of happiness.  So when that month was over, I didn’t stop.  I didn’t go everyday but I tried to get there at least 3 days a week.  (And up until the later part of the year, it worked).


This year I learned to let go of some things that had been bothering me and open up my mind and heart to what else is out there.  
And I stepped outside my comfort zone doing something that I’m still surprised I did: I went to the Healthy Living Summit in Philadelphia, PA knowing no one.  This was a big deal for me and very challenging on many levels.  I did what I could to push myself outside my normal comfort zone and met several amazing bloggers and people.  I discovered just how much of a healthy living community there is out there and was inspired and comforted to keep pushing forward in those attempts.


Unfortunately, this was also the weekend that my health took a turn for the worse.  My last night in Philly was the first time I experienced the severe pain on my left side that led to months of unknown, tests, and additional severe pain.  Unfortunately, September through December are a blur of doctor visits, hospital stays, and “resting” on my couch.  I wish I could have a better memory for the end of the year, but it is clear that was what took most of my energy.
That’s not to say no good came of it, because it did.  Through all of that, I was able to find one of the greatest friends I could have and with her support was able to make it through my Thanksgiving in the hospital and two attempts at surgery + recovery.  That I could (and would) not change for anything.


But the year is coming to a close and I’m ready to start 2012 fresh.  I’m hoping my health returns to it’s fullest extent and I continue to work on finding even greater happiness in my life.
Top 3 Favorite Posts to Write:

No comments:

Post a Comment