Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Foodie for a Day // Comfort Food


It’s been a rough few weeks for me with all that has gone on.  I’ve done everything in my power to remain positive as I know that this will all pass soon.  But at the end of last week what I really needed was some comfort and what better way than with a recipe that has been passed down in my family for years?  A little taste of home; a little taste of comfort.
So I set out to make my (German) great grandmother’s French Coffee Cake recipe.  I remember when my cousin’s would come to town and we’d make the coffee cake and it would hardly last through breakfast.  It’s been a favorite in the family for years.  Comfort food at it’s finest.

French Coffee Cake
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup margarine
3 cups flour
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
Mix the sugar, margarine and 2 cups of flour with your hands and take out one cup.
Blend the remaining ingredients and put into 2 buttered 8 x 1 1/2 pans.  Sprinkle the crumbs over the top.  Bake for 25 mins and 350 degrees.

I made a few changes to the recipe - swapping out some of the white flour for whole wheat flour, soy milk instead of regular milk and cut the whole recipe in half to only make 1 coffee cake vs 2.  It was so delicious and brought me the joy and comfort I was looking for.  It hardly lasted a few days in my apartment and I had no help eating it... ;)
It’s moments like these when I’m happy I’ve bothered my family for those recipes so I can recreate them at my will and want.  And this was exactly what I needed that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment