Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Foodie for a Day // Vegetarian Chili


Well after a four hour flight, I have successfully made it to Chicago.  I am currently seated in my parent’s living room watching Julie and Julia with my mom and sister, while my dad prepares dinner.
Anyway, I’m constantly on the search for (cheap) easy meals I can make for myself, especially during a busy week.  It’s always great to just be able to quickly reheat a meal after getting home from a long day at work.  
One of my favorite comfort foods has always been chili (and chili macaroni).  As a kid, my parents used to make chili and then make a side of chili mac for my sister and I.  It was as easy as a scoop of chili and then some added ketchup over macaroni noodles.  Yes, ketchup.
For whatever reason, I’ve never tried to make a vegetarian version myself after moving out and now that I have a small crock pot, this seemed as good a time as any to try. 


Vegetarian / Vegan Crockpot Chili
1/2 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
1 brick tempeh, crumpled
Chili powder (I used a handful)
Vegetable broth (about 1/2-1 cup)
I put everything in the crock pot, gave it a quick stir and let it cook on high for about 2 hours.  When it was done, I had a delicious bowl of chili.
I decided it would be an easy lunch of leftovers so I cooked up a pot of macaroni noodles and added a scoop of chili to the top of it.  This time, I left out the ketchup.  (Sorry, Mom!)  It was a delicious, super easy and inexpensive dinner that ended up producing several meals; I couldn’t be more pleased.  I will be making this again soon.
And can I just say, I love my crockpot?

No comments:

Post a Comment