Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Talk Less, Say More

Starting a blog is always weird.  That first post.  Starting with a blank page.  It sets a tone.  It grabs attention.  Or it flops like a fish out of water.  But no matter how it goes, you keep writing.  And that’s exactly how it should be.
I start this blog for many reasons, but most important of them all, is the release that putting words to a page can have on a person.  I often choose to release myself through music and exercise, but words are powerful - they make you laugh, they make you cry, they make you speechless, uncomfortable, happy, excited.  I could go on but I won’t.
I’m a 20-something, single female living in Los Angeles facing life one day at a time.  I’ve experienced things in LA that I never did growing up in the suburbs of Chicago, going to college in Boston or in the couple of years after college I spent outside of New York City.  But each time I have moved, I’ve run into new challenges, new opportunities, and new friends.
I found 2010 to be a hurdle that I needed to learn to get over.  And I decided that I was going to take the steps that I needed to to fix my life for 2011.  I was working 2 jobs, approximately 70 hours each week.  I quit one of them.  Some may say I quit the wrong one but if you ask me I left the right one.  I work in music and I chose to leave the job that had me in the industry, had me making connections and learning things.  Don’t get me wrong, it was a great company, with great clients and bosses, and I would send potential employees or clients their way any day.  I’m not sure they realize that.  I’m sure they’re still scratching their heads trying to figure out why I left.  But that’s okay.  Someday, I hope they understand this was about me, not them.
With that I took my part time job working at Apple and I’m turning it into a full time opportunity.  It’s a great company, with great products and amazing people.  It’s allowing me the time that I need to focus on my main goals in life, on my career, and maybe the most important - on ME! 
I started 2011 feeling refreshed, happy, excited and ready to take on a new year.  It was like a new me.  And with that, I’m brought back to my start.  The start of this blog.  The page is no longer blank, but rather filled with words.  So will I flop like a fish or soar to new heights?  We’ll just have to wait and see.  The world is my notebook.
And with that, I leave you with this Swedish proverb I found right after the new year.  I’m not one for resolutions but I do believe this is my new mantra:
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours.”

1 comment: