Saturday, January 29, 2011

Five Things You Couldn't Possibly Live Without - Day 6

Five Things You Couldn’t Possibly Live Without:
  1. Music
  2. Family + Friends
  3. Love
  4. Paper + Pen (my computer would do as well, but really I just want the ability to write)
  5. Water (which I will turn into tea or coffee or some other beverage! ;) )
This is an interesting topic really, that actually challenged me.  And I feel like when I look at this list, it’s kind of a “cop-out.”  I mean really, the things that I have on this list, I would expect most people to have (or at least most of the things on this list).  Here’s my breakdown:
1- MUSIC
Music is my life.  It’s what I went to school for, it’s what I wake up each morning for, it’s what helps me clear my head, it’s what I know and love.  I couldn’t imagine a life without music being involved.  If I was ever stuck on a deserted island, I’d need to get a radio station with non-stop music, a guitar, or something so that it could still be in my life.  Otherwise, I’m not sure how I’d continue.
2- FAMILY + FRIENDS
I know, I know, everyone would say their family and friends.  But let’s stop for a minute and realize the truth in the statement.  We surround ourselves with people who make us feel good about ourselves, who support our every decision (no matter how crazy they may seem at times).  The people who take what little time they have to come over when you’re having a bad day to try and cheer you up.  The people who want to spend time with you.  It’s crazy sometimes how we can think we know who our friends are and then when something happens, all of a sudden we realize who our friends are not.  Or suddenly they drift away all because they’re stuck in their own little “high-school” world and we hung out with the wrong person and now we’re not considered “cool” anymore.  Those aren’t the people we want around us anyway.  We want the people who drag you to hang out after finding out you and your boy broke up, despite the fact they know you really just want to hang home and mope.  We want the people who will do everything they can to see you when you come to town for 2 jam-packed days before heading back to the west coast.  We want the people who are so proud of every step we take in our lives, they don’t mind being a financial assistance for longer than some would deem necessary because they know it’s appreciated and not being taken for granted (thanks Mom and Dad!)  Sometimes we have to stop, take a step back and look around to realize how difficult life would be without some of these people.
Just some of the ladies at the ‘final’ Wesley Jeremiah (aka now, The Lumineers) show in New York City before I moved to LA and the band moved to Denver. 

There’s just not enough Ida in my life.... <3 you purdy lady!  (P.S. This picture is from when you refused to marry me!)
Did I mention it’s also the people (and musicians) you wouldn’t mind being stuck on the side of the road with when you’re on tour trying to get to a show on time...

And while it’s in the current state of affairs - it’s the friends who remind you that you’re beautiful after some dumb guy at the gym (who really was probably trying to find a reason to talk to you but came off as a jerk instead) makes you feel bad about yourself. 
3 - LOVE

I’m a hopeless romantic..what can I say?  Yet, I really don’t believe in love.  In many ways, I’m pretty sure Disney has been lying to me all these years (right Melissa?!)  For some reason, they decided to put these “princesses” out there for all little girls to dream that some day their “Prince Charming” would come sweep them off their feet and they’d live happily ever after.  Well y’know what?  That’s not how it works.  Sorry to break it to you but love is not easy.  In fact it’s full of pain and heartache.  It’s one of the most bittersweet concepts out there.  But I’m not just talking love between two people, but rather love and passion for different things in our life - our careers, our family, our friends, our pets, our hobbies, our passions, etc.  Love like that is what keeps us going everyday - like mine for music! :)

4 - PAPER & PEN

My computer would do as well, as really all I’m looking for is something to write and record my feelings and inner thoughts.  Writing is freeing and really allows you a moment to say everything that is on your mind.  Whether it be writing in a journal (for your eyes only), writing a blog (for the whole world to see), a play or movie or book, or a song (which I find extremely personal), writing allows you to express some kind of emotion.  It can help you get through some of the hardest times in your life or share and document some of the best times in your life.  It’s therapeutic.  It’s something that I can’t and wouldn’t want to lose. 
5 - WATER
Let me admit right now (though I’m sure most of you know), I have a major addiction to caffeine!  I drink many cups of coffee or tea each day, but I’m also the girl who is often carrying (and guzzling) a bottle of water through out the day.  Aside from the fact that we need water to survive, it’s delicious and versatile.  So if the only thing I had was water, I could not only keep hydrated while working out and at different points throughout the day, I could feed my need for caffeine.  Now that’s important! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment