Sunday, January 23, 2011

5 Things Worth Admitting...

I’m at the gym this morning reading ‘Real Simple’ while on the elliptical and there is an article titled “5 things worth admitting to.”  Because I’m sure you’re curious this is the list:
  1. You don’t have all the answers.
  2. You spent a small fortune on yourself.
  3. Your house is usually a disaster.
  4. You’re tired of hearing about it.
  5. Everything.
And this is what it said under #5...
“Be frank about your age, your sexual orientation, your criminal record (if you have one), your tattoos, your scars, and your prescriptions.  Admit to your bad moods, your neuroses, your fantasies, and your fears and it will be so cathartic you won’t need therapy.  Better still, you’ll be able to gossip without hypocrisy.  I am candid about myself in my column, and that frees me to investigate the private lives of public figures.  The same applies to everyday gossiping: No one can fault you for talking about others’ indiscretions if you’re the first to reveal those things about yourself.” - Michael Musto (gossip writer who column, La Dolce Musto, has appeared in the ‘Village Voice’ for 26 years.)
Really?  Don’t you think there are some things that you’re better off NOT admitting.  I mean, don’t get me wrong, you need to personally admit some things for your acceptance of yourself, but I don’t think I need to admit everything to everyone.  I feel like there are some things certain people are better off just not knowing, because they may not be able to handle it.  I’m not saying don’t be true to who you are as I do believe being open about your sexual orientation, age, etc are important but when it comes down to tattoos, prescriptions, fantasies - why does this need to be everyone’s business?  And if I’m in a bad mood, I don’t want to share it with everyone.  They say a smile is contagious, isn’t a bad mood too?
I also have a major problem with this statement:  “I am candid about myself in my column, and that frees me to investigate the private lives of public figures.”  
Why does that give you the right, sir Musto?  Yes these people are in the public eye and therefore will be scrutinized BUT their private lives should be able to remain private.  It does not give you the right to INVESTIGATE their lives.  Being in the public eye allows others to view some aspects of their personal lives whether they want that or not, but it doesn’t give you (or anyone else for that matter) the right to investigate into their lives.  Let them live their life and choose to share what they want.  It’s people like you who take little “things” and turn them into a media craze, even if it’s all false information.  That hurts people.  Is that part of your freedom? 
His comments had me worked up.  Let’s look at the ocean and remember to breathe...


No comments:

Post a Comment