Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Foodie for a Day


I’m due for a trip to the grocery store.  Not because I actually need more food in this house but because I’m out of bananas.  I eat the same thing for breakfast everyday and I haven’t been able to the past couple days because I’m out of bananas.  This is usually what happens and then I leave the grocery store with $40 worth of food. (I’m working on being better about that).
But since there weren’t even any bananas in the freezer this morning, I had to get creative.  No cereal.  Didn’t really want oats.  Cold yogurt didn’t sound appealing.  
Then I remembered I had some end pieces of bread in the freezer waiting for a french toast meal.  I guess that’s what’s for breakfast.
I don’t really eat eggs (only when baked into something and even then, hardly ever) so I don’t keep them on hand.  I did a quick search for a vegan french toast recipe and found several that called for flour, non-dairy milk, vanilla, cinnamon and sugar.  Easy enough.

Whisk them all together.  (I used about a cup of soy milk, tsp vanilla, tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and less than a tbsp flour - there was to be no measuring this morning.)

I then let the bread soak in the mixture (defrosted the bread first, of course).

Cook it in a pan coated in vegan butter.

Slathered on some peanut butter, pumpkin butter and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Mmm Mmm goooooood!

While this was delicious, I’m stopping at the grocery store this afternoon because I already miss my usual breakfast.  All these other options yield too many dishes... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment