Thursday, May 5, 2011

What To Know When You're 25(ish)

This is a really interesting article I ran across yesterday from December 2010; and boy does it hit home.  While I recommend reading the entire thing, especially if you feel like you’re in the same weird in-between that I’m finding myself in, below are a few of my favorite snipes from the article.  And even if you’re not in the weird in-between that I’m in but you’re 25(ish) maybe you should read it anyway.  Or maybe you should read it because you know someone (or maybe eventually know someone), who is 25(ish) and in this place / could someday be in this place.
Job
Now is the time to figure out what kind of work you love to do. What are you good at? What makes you feel alive? What do you dream about? You can go back to school now, switch directions entirely. You can work for almost nothing, or live in another country, or volunteer long hours for something that moves you. There will be a time when finances and schedules make this a little trickier, so do it now. Try it, apply for it, get up and do it.
Don't get stuck
Don’t get stuck. Move, travel, take a class, take a risk. Walk away, try something new. There is a season for wildness and a season for settledness, and this is neither. This season is about becoming. Don’t lose yourself at happy hour, but don’t lose yourself on the corporate ladder either. Stop every once in a while and go out to coffee or climb in bed with your journal. Ask yourself some good questions like: “Am I proud of the life I’m living? What have I tried this month? What have I learned about God this year? What parts of my childhood faith am I leaving behind, and what parts am I choosing to keep with me for this leg of the journey? Do the people I’m spending time with give me life, or make me feel small? Is there any brokenness in my life that’s keeping me from moving forward?” 

And while I’m talking about this weird “in-between” and the process of finding what I want out of my life / what I want to do with it, I realized there are a few passions that I need to make sure are included:
-music
-fitness / yoga
-health / nutrition
-writing / blogging
-creating a company / business
I haven’t figured out exactly how I will incorporate each of these and I’m sure to many of you, you look at this list and see that I have incorporated most (if not all) of them.  But not necessarily the way that I want to.  And problem is, I haven’t figured out how I want to yet.  That’s part of my process, part of journey; I guess part of that thing we call life, huh?

I made this fun graphic (with my own photo)!! :-D


No comments:

Post a Comment