Monday, April 18, 2011

Eat Pray Love

I’m not much of a reader.  Aside from magazines and blogs really.  I know that’s sad and it’s one of those things I’ve always wanted to be better about and try and do more of.  But I find I can never finish a book.  Or hardly ever at least.  Generally I find the time to read before I go to bed and I fall asleep, losing track of what page I’m on, or forgetting what I had read the night before because I was trying to push through until the end of a chapter or some other good stopping point but really I was already in a state of unconsciousness.  Basically, it never works out for me.


Based on that back story, I’m sure you can imagine, I did not read the book before I dove into tonight’s Netflix movie choice, Eat Pray Love.  And if it goes as most people say about the book is always better than the movie, then I need to read this book.


Maybe I just related too much to Liz, aside from the whole divorce thing but more on the spiritual nature of feeling lost and confused.  The feeling that you’re living your life each day but it’s the life you’re expected to live, not necessarily the one that you want to live.  Almost to a sense that you’re losing your balance of yourself in your day to day life.
Am I totally on the extreme of these feelings?  No.  But sometimes I do feel lost.  I do think the majority of these feelings are due to the events of a month ago.  I had a plan.  I had a focus.  I had a direction.  And suddenly, that plan, that focus, that direction was thrown off track and I’m having trouble getting my balance to stand back up and keep moving forward.  I’m doing it, but I’m at more of a crawl.
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that either.  In fact, sometimes when you hit a road block, it’s better to take your time and find the best way around - which may or may not mean climbing over.  I’ll get there.  I have no doubt I will get there.  For now, I just need to let go of the wheel and let the car drive itself.

It reminds me of a speech by my boss (Steve Jobs) given to the students at Stanford University: 
Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

(You can find more of the speech online or the link to it on my blog somewhere.  And I do highly recommend checking it out.  It's truly moving.  I may need to watch it again.)

But I will admit, the movie really made me want to travel and step outside of my comfort zone.  I don’t know how I’m going to do that yet but I will figure something out.  And while traveling would be nice, it’s not in my budget.
Long story short, that movie was great!



No comments:

Post a Comment