Saturday, April 23, 2011

Over Reaction

What a day. Thankfully my day at work wasn’t that bad, it was stressful at times but overall it wasn’t terrible and the things I needed to do got done and I stayed positive despite everything. Until I got home that is.


That’s because I checked my mail only to find a fun letter from building management about increasing my rent. In this moment of extreme stress and anxiety, I thought they increased my rent $85, but actually it was only increased $35 but I’m still really annoyed. Only a month ago, the company offered to discuss a rate reduction in order for me to stay in my apartment. I put through my request and was denied any reduction because apparently I pay the least in the entire building. DUH! I live in a studio with no balcony - what do you expect?!


Anyway, I know my initial burst into tears over frustration, aggravation and all-on freak out was probably a bit of an over reaction, (if I’m acknowledging it that makes it ok, right?) but it’s also a reminder that I need to be paying attention to my finances more right now. It’s not like I’m spending away (because I’m not) but I need to sit down and figure out how I can be more financially stable.


I’m very lucky to have parents who are supportive, understanding and willing to help when they can but I’m an independent person who wants to have financial stability. Someone who doesn’t want to feel like she owes any more money to her parents (whether they ask for it back or not). Someone who just wants to feel like she’s standing with her own two feet planted firmly on the ground. But instead, every time I feel like I’m building in my roots, a burst of wind comes through and knocks me down. It’s getting extremely frustrating.


Whether it’s $85 or $35, it’s a rent increase that I wasn’t expecting, wasn’t planning for and has thrown me off my game. It’s a rent increase that makes me feel like they may keep doing this to me until they feel my rent is competitive to rest of the building or until it forces me out and they can jack it up to where they want it to be. It feels like even more of a power play and reassures my feelings that they have no soul.




Anyway, in honor of Earth Day yesterday, I decided to get a delicious salad from the Whole Foods salad bar for lunch. Yum! This was also my first time trying Kombucha and I don’t know if it was the flavor, but it was not my thing. I felt like I was drinking vinegar or something. Blech!



No comments:

Post a Comment