Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Foodie for a Day Wednesday

I’m hoping Foodie for a Day will have a few segments today, though we’ll see if that’s able to happen.  I’ve spent the last two days with a headache that I can’t seem to get rid of despite all of my usual tricks.
A few years ago, my sister introduced me to her current favorite breakfast: peanut butter and banana oatmeal.  My initial reaction was “uh...ew” though I have never quite understood why I felt that way.  Peanut butter and banana sandwiches are one of my favorite things ever so I’m not sure why the same ingredients in something like oatmeal made any difference in my mind.  Either way, I ended up trying it and loving it!
Not long after, my friend Justine introduced me to KERF and I realized just how much you could manipulate oatmeal.  KERF has a “Tribute to Oatmeal” page but she is not alone in creating fun oatmeal concoctions; it’s actually quite the food blogging phenomenon.  
I ran out of fresh bananas earlier this week, had no cereal and my only breakfast option left was oatmeal.  I like oatmeal so I was okay with this.  Thankfully I had 1/2 a frozen banana in the freezer which I lightly defrosted before beginning.  Then I combined oatmeal, water, soy milk, cinnamon, vanilla and the defrosted banana on the stove.  When it was done, I topped the oatmeal with a little brown sugar, dried cranberries and a small blob of almond butter.  Delicious!  And of course my cup of coffee on the side!



No comments:

Post a Comment