Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Foodie for a Day


I love oatmeal.  I mean really, how could you not?
I grew up on Quaker Instant Oatmeal Maple and Brown Sugar.  Delicious.  And to this day, that is my go-to instant oatmeal when I want to take something with me while I travel.  (I always recommend the “just-in-case” foods.)
But as I grew up, I learned just how much more oatmeal can be - cooked on the store with milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and topped with peanut butter, bananas, and other fruits and nuts.  You may laugh, but it did open up a new world of breakfast possibilities (even for the girl who eats the same piece of toast with peanut butter and banana every morning).
So while I was home, we had our annual Christmas morning brunch (only a few days late) with my mom’s side of the family.  This year we had an even wider array of foods, including the new addition: the oatmeal bar.
I prepared two pots of oatmeal simply with equal parts oats, milk and water, and then added a bit of vanilla and cinnamon to each.  One pot was made with soy milk (for me and those feeling “brave”) and one with regular milk (for everyone else).  We had toppings of peanut butter, banana, coconut, nuts, and dried fruit.  It was a hit!

As I was driving home from the gym this morning, debating today’s post and what I felt like eating for breakfast, I was reminded of last week’s oatmeal bar and nothing sounded better this morning that a big bowl of oats.  And while I was at it, I made an extra serving for another day.

Today’s oatmeal was the simple recipe from Christmas, topped with peanut butter and sliced banana served in this adorable bowl + spoon my sister got me.
What are your favorite oatmeal toppings?

No comments:

Post a Comment