Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Foodie for a Day // More Oatmeal!


Ever since going home and having the oatmeal bar at our “Christmas morning” brunch, I’ve been craving oatmeal more mornings for breakfast than usual.  Oatmeal has always been one of those breakfasts that I love but for whatever reason, I don’t generally have unless I’m on vacation and having a packet of instant I stashed as a “just-in-case.”
This sudden craving for oatmeal is a welcomed surprise as it is super delicious, healthy, and easy to make.  I prefer (Quaker) Old Fashioned oats so it does take a bit longer to cook, but I’ll make two servings at a time and stash that extra serving for tomorrow.
Another great thing about oatmeal is that it’s so easily adaptable, anyone kind find a flavor combination they enjoy and you can change it up to avoid it getting too boring or repetitive.
And with that, I bring you two new combinations for oatmeal that I call delicious
Chocolate Caribbean Oatmeal

So it’s not necessarily Caribbean but it seems kind of Caribbean after the toppings. :)
1 cup oats
1 cup milk (I use soy)
1 cup water
1-2 tsps cocoa powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
Let all of the above cook until thick and creamy.  Then top with 1/2 chopped banana, spoonful of peanut butter and a sprinkle of coconut.  
(If it seems like you put in too much cocoa powder, stir in a bit of brown sugar to balance it out.)
Gingerbread Protein Oatmeal


1 cup oats
1 cup milk
1 cup water
1 TBSP vanilla protein powder
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
Let the above cook until thick and creamy.  Top with 1/2 chopped banana, spoonful of peanut butter and a sprinkle of raisins.
(I’m sure you can add more protein powder but this was my first time adding it to oatmeal and I didn’t want to add too much.)
Have a great breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment