Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Recipe - Day 27

This is a fun post for me as I really enjoy cooking.  It’s not something I do as often as I would like but I love to try new recipes, as long as they work out that is. :)
I often pull out recipes from magazines, though I don’t often remember to try them.  A couple years ago I decided that I was going to try one new recipe a week, pulling from my stack of magazine ripped out recipes.  It didn’t last as long as I would have liked and I keep telling myself that I am going to start it back up again because it was fun and helped me add new recipes to repertoire (or throw out some sub-par or not so great recipes).  But the one below is a gem.  By far one of my favorites, not to mention it’s super easy and makes great leftovers.  I’ve made a few changes from what the original recipe calls for, but it’s mostly the same.  If I remember correctly, the recipe came from Shape magazine (though it’s also possible it could have been Fitness or Self - but you get the idea). 

Couscous with Roasted Almonds & Edamame (or Hippie Food if you ask some of my friends)
Ingredients:
1 medium garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 cups carrot juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups from shelled edamame
2 medium scallions, chopped
3/4 cup couscous
1 ounce, roasted, unsalted almonds, chopped
In a saucepan combine garlic, carrot juice, salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil over high heat.  Add edamame and return to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 4 mins.  Increase heat to high and return edamame to a boil; stir in couscous.  Cover, remove from heat and let stand 5 mins.  Fluff couscous with a fork; add scallions and almonds.


No comments:

Post a Comment