Monday, March 7, 2011

I. AM. STRONG.

I am someone who has spent a good portion of my life working for self improvement, and not that this is necessarily bad but it can be at times.  I enjoy being in control of a situation and when life presents me with situations that I can’t control, I sometimes don’t know how to respond reasonably.  This is something I’m working to fix.  ...is that me trying to control a situation?  I’m starting to think I’m on a record and I keep hitting that hiccup that makes the album start skipping and then repeats the hiccup over and over again.  And it doesn’t stop until you get up and fix it.  But this rotation will happen again, it’s bound to, it’s not perfect.  
That’s the key.  It’s not perfect.  I’m not perfect.  You’re not perfect. We’re not perfect.  No one is perfect.  No one can be perfect.  Perfection is impossible.  
I think we forget that sometimes.  We get so caught up in our strive to achieve perfection, we forget that it’s impossible and what we’re actually working towards is the best we can be.  
While I was at the gym this afternoon, spending 60 minutes on the cross ramp elliptical trying to shed the stress from last night, my financial situation and figuring out how to handle my apartment situation, I was also reading one of the many health magazines on the market.  As far as I’m concerned, these magazines are pretty much the same but I enjoy reading them anyway and do subscribe to two of them. Anyway, while I don’t remember what the article was initially about, it introduced an idea that stood out in my mind.  It mentioned that we don’t take enough time to focus on the positives in our lives and within ourselves.  It challenged people to try writing a letter to themselves everyday for a few days and listing out the things they are thankful for that day, things they like about themselves, etc and after a few days of this behavior, you will be happier about yourself and the things in your life.  This stood out as an interesting activity in my mind and something that I needed to try.  So with that, my goal over the next week is to write about things I’m thankful for, things I like about myself, or generally positive thoughts about my life.  
DAY 1 POSITIVE THINKING: 
I am strong.  Emotionally.  Physically.  Mentally.
I have my flaws.  I am not perfect.  Each day is not perfect.  But I am strong.  I always find a way to make it through.
My current level of stress will be no different.  Things could always be worse.  I will take each day as it presents itself.  I will find a way to make things work for me.  I will do an extra set of crunches or bicep curls.  I will do an extra 15 minutes of meditative breathing and focusing.  I will find a new way to be organized that works for me and my life.  I will come out on top.  I will show my strength.  Just you watch and see.



No comments:

Post a Comment