Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Foodie for a Day / The Food of the Healthy Living Summit


You’d imagine healthy food at a Healthy Living Summit, yet I was still pleasantly surprised by the delicious healthy food available!
Friday night was a cocktail party and I failed miserably at taking pictures of my plate of snacks + drinks.  Sorry...
Saturday began with a delicious array of fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, juice and coffee.  Our breakfast was courtesy of Attune Foods!  I settled down with a cup of Oikos blueberry Greek yogurt with chopped strawberries and Uncle Sam’s Honey Almond Cereal which I used like a granola.  Along side, of course, was a cup of Starbucks coffee with soy milk (x2)!

A quick snack break between sessions was brought to us by Quaker and consisted of their new Quaker Chewy Smashbar.  A delicious granola bar with pretzels, chocolate chunks and graham pieces.  I’d say it was a hit!
Source


Lunch was by far the highlight of food in my opinion!  By reading Kath’s blog, I was introduced to Great Harvest bread and I have been waiting for the day that I could actually try it myself.  Well thanks to the Healthy Living Summit and Great Harvest Wayne, I had the opportunity to try it and it did not let me down!


I had two sandwich halves - the Smoked Tofu and Roasted Veggie, with a side salad + some delicious quinoa salad!  I will be finding the Great Harvest in the LA area and splurging for some delicious, chewy bread in the very near future!

Rounding out the afternoon with another snack, once again provided by Quaker, we had Lightly Salted Rice Cakes with Naturally Nutty nut butters!  We were all so excited and the nut butters went fast!  Clearly I was so excited I forgot to take a picture, but I was snacking happily!
Gathering a group of 200+ healthy living bloggers in one place is a difficult feat and any large group really would have been difficult so we were on our own.  My roomies, Dani & Amy, decided to head out for some place that looked good.  By the time we stumbled upon and decided on The Corner, we were starving and I’m pretty sure anything would have tasted good.


I went for the Summer Vegetable Stew with eggplant, okra, zucchini, squash and tomato over steamed rice with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.
There are about 10 photos of this glass of wine as I was trying to play with the different settings on my camera.

We were all happy with our meals, though unsure if we liked it so much because it was food and almost anything would have tasted yummy at that point.  But with a seat on the roof-top deck enjoying the warm evening, we were happy.
The ladies ended the evening with a walk for some fro-yo but I was suddenly not feeling well and decided to walk by skip the yogurt.  Their delicious looking cups of fro-yo were tempting though!

The event ended Sunday with an oatmeal breakfast bar courtesy of Quaker Oats.  More fresh fruit, cereal, yogurt, coffee and of course oatmeal + toppings!


I went for the oatmeal with cinnamon, a bit of almond butter, chopped nuts and fresh fruit.  I ended up chopping up my strawberries and adding them to the oatmeal to make it even more delicious!  Plus coffee x2 (of course)!!


And I grabbed a delicious white nectarine for the road train!  It was a delicious snack!

I’ll be back with the recap of the Healthy Living Summit-beyond the food soon!
(And I would like to take this moment to apologize for the horrendous pictures!  Spending my weekend around so many bloggers made me realize that my camera/photography skills are not where I would like them to be.  I’m now on the market and taking suggestions for new cameras - that hopefully won’t break my bank account, especially while I’m not ready to upgrade my phone.)





No comments:

Post a Comment