Saturday, June 11, 2011

The hunt is on!

It’s only 2 and I’m already exhausted!  I started my morning bright and early (not as early as I originally planned but that’s ok).  After some breakfast and a cup of coffee, I filled up my thermos with (more) coffee, dressed in my gym clothes and out the door I went for the ever-so-fun apartment hunting.
Now, unlike most people in this world, I have always enjoyed the process of moving.  There are many stressful and far-from-fun qualities about it, not to mention the moments when you stop and realize how much this is going to cost.  But I love looking at different places and imagining how your furniture may fit into the space.  And I love starting with a fresh, clean slate (literally).  And I love the process of going through your stuff and throwing out the crap you realize you don’t need anymore.  And if things go the way I want, selling some of the things you don’t need because they’re already in your new place and therefore, not needing to move it (because it becomes the new purchasers duty to move it).  You know people, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, it’s the little things in life. :)
I saw 5 different places this morning is just over 1.5 hrs!  Personally, I don’t think that’s too shabby.  I took notes, took pictures of some places and just wandered around gathering thoughts.  I have a favorite and I don’t want to tell you about it yet because I don’t want to jinx it.  And I’m waiting to hear from my future roommate if she can agree that this is the place.  But I’m super excited! 
It’s funny when you look at apartments and all of the different things you have to think about.  
Safety is always a big one for me, even more so when I’m living alone.  Some of the places I looked it, I would have driven past if I was looking only for myself, including my favorite.  But based on different locations and the fact there will be someone else there, gives me an added sense of security.  
And when it comes to LA, the whole “do I need to buy/move a fridge” is a huge one!  I have a fridge so the buying aspect wouldn’t be there but I don’t want to move it.  My goal is to sell it, possibly even to the building owners if they would like to make it an “added” benefit of this apartment.  
And let’s not forget laundry, because who really wants to drive (or walk) their clothes down the street to a laundromat and have to waste a few hours there while you do your laundry?  Not me, that’s for sure.  Especially after having an apartment in New Jersey with my own washer and dryer in my unit! It was ah-maze-ing!
Parking is another big one!  My goal is to get gated parking but again, this is LA and if a place can require you your own parking spot, you really just need to be happy and call it a day.
Anyway, here are some pictures of a few places I saw (including the runner-up in my opinion):












No comments:

Post a Comment