Sunday, December 25, 2011

Not Home for the Holidays - Part 1


Merry Christmas Everyone!
There’s nothing easy about not being home for Christmas, especially when you come from a family who makes it last an entire week.  But this year (to my family’s dismay), I made the sacrifice and told my coworker she could go home and that I would stay here.  It hasn’t been easy and quite honestly, makes today feel like any other day, but I get to go home in a few days and Christmas will happen then.  It’s good to hear my family is saving some of my favorites for then: Apple Crisp, Spicy Flowerettes, A White Christmas, and more cookie baking!
But despite it feeling like another day around here, I’m doing my best to still make it special and enjoy myself.  I started my day by making a delicious Christmas breakfast: gingerbread pancakes, an orange, and lots of coffee with warm eggnog.  There’s plans for a walk, laundry, and beginning to pack for my trip home this afternoon.
Yesterday, I found myself debating two kinds of pancakes for today: gingerbread or chocolate peppermint.  It was a tough decision but I ended up deciding to go with gingerbread and it was a good decision - so delicious and so easy!


Gingerbread Pancakes
1 cup whole wheat pancake mix (I used Kodiak cakes)
1 cup water
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ground cloves
I mixed them all together and let the batter sit for 5-10 minutes and then cooked them on the stove to perfection.  This made 4 pancakes about 6” each.  


I had a short stack for breakfast and the second short stack is awaiting lunch time.  I would highly recommend making these.  They couldn’t be easier or more delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment