Thursday, January 13, 2011

I need exercise!

Sometimes I wake up and I can’t imagine how I lived my life without a consistent exercise routine.  Cliche as it may seem, exercise keeps me sane and happy and centered.  Yes, I am one of those people who will wake up at 5AM, just to get to the gym before being at work at 8.  But trust me when I tell, I need to!  This past week I two days off from the gym - one I just wanted the day off (I had gone 6 days in a row!) and the other I overslept.  BOTH days, I ended up being an overly emotional mess.  Did I have legit reasons both days for being angry, frustrated, sad, whatever? Yes.  But did I really need to spend 30 mins crying like a blubbery mess? No, not at all.  Thank you to the amazing people I work with who covered for me on the floor, sat in the hallway trying to make me laugh, got me chocolate and tea, or just let me have a moment to breathe it out.  I am fine, but let the point be proven that I need daily exercise for my emotional well being. 
When I was living in Boston, I was able to get a student discount at the YMCA near my college.  I started taking the “once and awhile” fitness approach and making it more of a consistent habit, not to mention I was walking everywhere I went (no T for me!). Then after college, I moved to Jersey - a cold dark place for my exercise habits.  There was no student discount at a gym and transportation meant driving everywhere.  Thankfully a year and another knee surgery later, some friends encouraged my desire to try running.  That was when I realized the calming effect it had on me.  I moved to LA, buckled down my finances to join a gym, and took my 3 days/week at the gym to my current 5 or 6 - and I couldn’t be happier.  It’s life changing.  
But do me a favor folks - don’t start a “new years resolution” to lose weight, eat right, get in shape, etc.  You will most likely “fall off the wagon” and just end up wasting money every month for a membership you don’t use.  It has to be more than that.  It has to be you deciding to make a lifestyle change for yourself, your future, your children’s future, whatever will inspire you to keep at it - NOT just a new fad diet that you think might work this time.  Figure out what motivates you and use that to keep you going.  It will change your life too.

Okay, I’m stepping off my soap box now...Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment